Thursday, June 11, 2009

New Potty


At Luke's 18 month doctor's visit she told us we might want to get Luke a potty if he's showing interest in the toilet. Luke loves to sit on his potty. He says "poo poo" and runs off to the bathroom. I get his potty ready and place him on the cushy blue seat. After a few seconds he'll ask for "more" and point to the toilet paper, then he'll place the paper in the large toilet and say "bye poo poo" as we flush the toilet. He hasn't had a successful potty session yet, but at least he's got the idea. We don't have a potty training goal for him, we're pretty much just following his lead right now. Any advise is welcome. :0)


5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Yay! Onward and upward. I hope it goes smoothly for you all. I think you have the right attitude about it. I had "A place of their own" episode recorded about potty training, but watched it so long ago, I forgot the advice. All I remember is that they recommended not using pull ups becuase the kids can't feel that they are wet, and don't learn to feel uncomfortable with being wet.

My mother-in-law has already told me to not even bother with trying at 18 months since he will likely regress when the second baby arrives and I think we'll have our hands too full at that time to start a new developmental endeavor. But, if by some miracle, he seeks it out, then of course, we will follow his lead.

David, Meredith, and Luke said...

When is your next baby due? October?

Andy Crawford said...

Casey's experience with potty training:

1. I am on the toilet and Casey comes running in screaming "Pee Pee" and then fusses yelling "paper" until I hand her the roll.

2. If I don't shut the door to the bathroom, the toilet becomes Casey's own private water park. We clean the toilet more often than normal now. I try my hardest to keep the door shut!

Andy Crawford said...

Oh, my sister and I are 14 months apart. My mom said that when the new baby came, I resorted to crawling, constantly wanted to be held and then all of a sudden "forgot" how to potty train. I was a rotten kid anyway. =)

I have heard from a lot of people that have said the opposite. We will cross our fingers!

David, Meredith, and Luke said...

You crack me up Jackie!

Yep, Luke demands paper too. I only give him 2 squares and he insists on putting it into the toilet and says "more".

I really try to keep the door closed because Luke now knows how to flush the toilet. The shenanigans these kids take part in are hilarious!